The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number used to identify you to Human Resources & Development Canada and the Canada Revenue Agency.
In order to work and be paid in Canada you must have both a Work Permit (unless your job is on-campus) and a SIN. Your employer cannot pay you until you receive your SIN.


In order to apply for a SIN, you must have EITHER

  • a valid Work Permit OR
  • an offer of on-campus employment

Step 1: Gather your documents

Review the Service Canada website and gather the documents that you will need:

  1. Completed SIN Application Form
  2. Valid Passport
  3. Valid Study Permit
  4. Valid Work Permit  
    A Contract of Employment/Job Offer Letter printed on official letterhead from the employer on-campus (the template Contract of Employment can be filled in and printed on letterhead)

NOTE: There is no application fee ($0) to apply for a SIN.

Step 2: Submit your application

You can apply in-person or by mail for the SIN. The fastest way to apply for a SIN is in person at any Service Canada Centre. If your application and documents are in order, you can get a Social Insurance Number in one visit and receive your card by mail within 10 business days.

The easiest location to access from U of T Scarborough is the:

Toronto Scarborough Service Canada Centre
200 Town Centre Court
Canada Centre, 1st Floor
Scarborough, ON. M1P 4X9 
Open Monday-Friday from 8:30am-4pm


If necessary, you can mail your completed paper package via traceable courier/registered mail to:

Service Canada
Social Insurance Registration Office
PO Box 7000
Bathurst NB  E2A 4T1