Posted on August 12, 2013 at 12:30 PM
CIC Notice – Strike Action
On June 11, 2013 the Professional Association of Foreign Service Officers union, with Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC), went on strike in Canada and overseas. These members are responsible for processing and supporting the visa application process for our students recently admitted to UTSC, or those seeking renewal of existing/expiring permits, which allow students to study and work in Canada.
If you are a new student seeking a post secondary study permit, or current student with an expiring study permit, we encourage you to begin your application process immediately. Processing times for student visa applications differ depending on the application type (paper/online), but it is reasonable to expect normal processing to take between 26-68 days. Normal processing times do not account for lost time resulting from work stoppages.
Should you have any questions on how to start your application process, please visit the UTSC International Centre, Instructional Centre 1095 Military Trail, Toronto, ON, room IC350.
UTSC International Centre Office Hours:
- 10 am–4:30 pm Monday – Friday (by appointment only)
- As of July 28, CIC has prioritized student files, in particular public colleges and universities, but in general all student files.
- As CIC has indicated on the website, students who have not yet applied for a study permit are asked to do so electronically. E-applications give CIC much more flexibility in moving case processing to offices with the capacity to handle them.
- For students who have already applied (whether on paper or electronically), they should absolutely not apply again.
- For students who are renewing their status in Canada, there is no impact from the PAFSO activities, as all these applications continue to be processed within Canada.